Tuesday, September 18, 2012

4 months left?!

Today is September 18th. One month from when I left Durango. What a month it has been. Sunday night Jake and I went down to Morningstar to skim and swim. The surf was weird and the beaches were torn from the swell the day before so we both stopped skimming shortly after starting. We found ourselves in the water just wading and watching the sunset over Hassel Island. WHAT A SUNSET. This night was exactly what I needed. I have been in a bit of a funk since I have been down here. I am so used to it just being Jake and I that it has taken some time to adjust to two completely new people and how to work our schedules around each others. I am so lucky to share these experiences with someone like Jake. We are becoming the best of friends. It is so nice to have time together just the two of us, to talk over and re-live all of the incredible adventures we have shared the past four months. He is on hell of a kid, whoever finds him will be super lucky. He always says the same about whoever I will find to marry. It is funny that we are so young looking so far ahead but it is so humbling to hear from someone that you respect a lot, that they think "whoever finds me will be super lucky". WOW, speechless

I have learned a lot the past few months. There is no right or wrong way to live life. So cliche, but honestly. I have really been able to see people of all different colors and walks of life in my travels. It is very thought provoking to see what people consider important in other parts of the world. Most of the locals here don't even enjoy the beach, or the ocean. What a sad life it seems. I can see how it would get old fast living on such a small piece of rock in the middle of nowhere.

I would like to think that I have set a high standard of living for myself. I am always looking for things to do. Down here I have lost some of my spark that I had in Durango. For whatever reason I have become content with doing less. I don't particularly enjoy it. I need to start living again. Going to the beach 4-5 nights a week is not enough. I am going to get better at going on morning runs. And spending every second I have free going and seeing something new.

I met a beautiful little lady today outside the store at lunch who works at the diamond store next door. She was so easy to talk to and the conversation was so fun. We are both bread lovers, so she is going to buy me a loaf on Friday from the best bakery on the island so that I can try some local bread. (I hope it is half as good as the bread my dad makes) She was so nice, but she said that she would never let me go to the bakery, because she knows I would be in danger. It is definitely eye opening and saddening to think that some of the best places on this island will be off limits to me just because I am white. I am so thankful for locals like her who are constantly looking out for me. Being a minority is bullshit. The fact that there is even the term minority associated with people is sickening. Why can't the world live as one?

I love and miss you all.

Never Stop Breaking Down the Doors-

-Kam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adventure Journal