Sunday, September 30, 2012

St. John-Adventure to Remember

Story Time! - This one might be long. I will attempt to give you a day in the life of my last 24 hours.

Quick Recap to get you up to speed. Joel was away for the week because he was back home in Utah for a friends wedding. Sales were going well in Del Sol and Cariloha. We both ended up hitting our projections and corporate was super stoked, so they offered to pay for our ferry ride over to St. John while they closed the store this Saturday for us. We had to pick Joel up at the airport at 1:30 so we figured we wouldn't be able to go to St. John.

Friday night it hit me. We can still make it to St. John even if Joel isn't feeling up to it. Our managers had to make an emergency flight back to L.A. for medical reasons and left us their car for the week. If Joel didn't want to go it was no big deal because he could still get to church on Sunday because he would have a car. Jake and I did some quick research to see if there was a place we could camp on St. John for the night. We found some tent's on St. John at a beach called Cinnamon Bay. They were closed for the season.......... WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP WOWWOWOWOWOW. When did a bump in the road ever stop me? Me being the psychotically optimistic person I am assured Jake and Charles that we could find somewhere to camp, and that if worse came to worse we could always just sleep in the car on the side of the road. (The fun is ALWAYS in the adventure) To my surprise after a little explaining of why this weekend was our window to go. They were on board. We texted Joel.

He said he was up for it. He hates camping and he had no food to take so it was awesome to see everyone get in on the adventure. I LOVE flying by the seat of my pants. Where is the fun in having a set itinerary, with a play by play of exactly how your trip should go. We picked Joel up from the airport, came home, packed our car and headed off.

We were able to hit the early ferry I was hoping for over to St. John, so that we could find a beach, hang out and figure out where the hell we were going to sleep for the night. Once we got to Cinnamon bay we found out everything was closed as advertised online, but for whatever reason the National Park Services leaves the tents up with mattresses and pillows on hand inside. (Only on an island in the middle of nowhere would this be ok) After a night of skimming, fighting off bugs, relaxing, and swimming we retreated to the car to go into town to find some dinner. I had already brought some food (pop tarts, pretzels, green tea, and sheez-it's <--- St. Thomas brand cheez-it's........ we think) We got into town and somehow found ourselves at a little pizza joint. The food was food and the service was slow, but that was the last of my worries. graphic moment coming up to skip just start reading at the next cluster of *'s...... I needed to poop, these kids kept running in front of me to was their hands after playing jenga so it took me a while to get in, but it's ok I was able to get in a little bit of light reading while I was waiting.



Once I got into the bathroom, I was in heaven. these guys were genius, they spliced the wire to the light, and rigged a fan to the wall that blew straight into your face while you were droppin the cosby kids off at the swimming pool. How ingenious! If you have ever pooped in a humid place around the equator, you know how much a fan like this is needed. End of story :) ****************

After we finished dinner we headed back to Cinnamon Bay. SKINNYDIPPIN TIME!!!!! What funny night. I definitely ran a mile down the beach and back.... in the buff. Swimming naked is probably the greatest thing ever. I think that I could probably beat Michael Phelps in a swim contest, but i would definitely have to race naked.

Once we finished skinny dippin it was time to find our camp. SKKKKKKEEEEETCHHHH the trails around the camp sites were sooo sketchy at night especially with the full moon shining just enough light to see, but not enough to see well. We found the tent closest to the water. I figured we might only have this opportunity once so lets make the most of it, or should I say moist of it. The tents were sooooooo bloody hot. Jake and I were the only ones who decided to stay in the tent. Drenched in sweat, we somehow managed to slip off to sleep for good sometime around midnight. We both woke up around 730 and headed down to the beach to take a look around. Here are some pictures of our tent, the beach, and the trails.








After the beach Jake and I headed up to the car to make sure it was still there and to see if Charles and Joel were still in it. -All was in tact. Charles hadn't slept all night and Joel was out cold. We decided to hurry and zip off to Watermelon Bay to do some snorkeling and swimming early so we could get back on a early ferry so Charles could get some sleep. The snorkeling was unreal. So many big fish, best visibility yet, and strong currents, what more could we ask for.




After Watermelon I talked Charles into 45 minutes at Hawksrest Beach, he was a little grumpy and wanted to get back so he could get to sleep, but sleep can wait haha. Besides he just went to Wendy's and didn't even roll into bed until 7.... hours after we got back. Frustrating. We caught the 12:30 ferry home. I know I am probably forgetting some of the greatest parts of the adventure, but my fingers hurt and I want to get off the computer soooo. The end. Today was awesome. Everyone who reads this should go on an unforgettable adventure ASAP. Even one as simple as going for a walk. Get out and get moving.


Never stop Breaking Down the Doors

-Kam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adventure Journal